Today was World Kuk Sool Super Beach Training at Haeundae
Beach. Imagine around 400 people wearing
doh bok (uniform) practicing martial
arts on the beach. And then imagine them
yelling with their punches all at the same time. It was nothing short of impressive.
Kuk Sool Won members practicing at Haeundae Beach
Everyone is so polite in Kuk Sool: etiquette and respect is
a big facet of it. I have never been
called “ma’am” so many times. I have also never been around such a respectful
and happy group of people. Even the
first night here, when I was helping to check in a group of Brits arriving at
midnight, everyone was happy to be there.
No grumbling and “where’s my room key,” type talk. “Yes, ma’am. Thank you, ma’am. Have a good
night, ma’am.”
Notice George filming on the left!
There are all levels of students here to compete, judge, and
participate in demonstrations. From
white belt to 9th degree black belt. These students and masters are not only
athletes; they’re artists. They have
clearly put in hours upon hours and years upon years of practice so that their
bodies move with a strength and grace that is captivating to watch.
Master Sung Jin Suh (George’s oldest brother and an 8th
degree black belt) inspires awe with his demonstration
Emerald Aue (4th degree black belt) and her husband David (5th
degree)
practice their sword demonstration
Now onto an important part of travel: eating. Have I mentioned that I was nervous about
liking the food here? I’m a picky eater
with a palate limited to French fries, Ranch dressing, and anything with
cheese. And what I know about Korean
food is that they don’t put cheese on anything, much less Ranch dressing. But I enjoyed my first meal (the udon
noodles), and that was at a rest stop, so I figure it can only get better. Our first dinner was at a seafood place near
our hotel. It was a good find (kudos to
Seunghye - an LA friend who is here with us and also a Korean expat).
An array of seafood cooking at the table
I’m afraid that all of the amazing, fresh seafood is wasted
on me, though, because I can really only handle shrimp and maybe some crab or a
scallop. (Please refer to my limited
palate above.) I chose not to slurp the
snails from their tiny shells or partake of the abalone. I also am a baby when it comes to all things
spicy, and that pretty much describes about 75% of Korean food. Despite all of these cards stacked against my
appetite, though, I have enjoyed all my meals here.
Snails. Hold up to your mouth,
slurp, and enjoy!
A crab.
Lunch after beach training was at a cute little place called
“Grandma’s House,” and it was as cozy as it sounds.
Beef and Mushroom Jungol cooking at “Grandma’s House”
Afterwards, we took a walk, and look what we found:
FYI, the Starbucks here has some bomb-diggidy
cheesecake. They’re holding out on us in
the US. And right next to Starbucks is one
of these:
I’m not gonna lie; I’m really tempted to eat here. Cheese fries dipped in Ranch dressing sums up
my aforementioned palate, and if I could do it without anyone knowing, I
probably would. But I’m going to try and
stick with the native food. No promises, though.
One more tidbit from today.
After dinner, we were enjoying some carrot cake in the hotel lobby (yes,
I had cheesecake and carrot cake
today), and we heard a little girl scream.
Nothing scary, just a kid being fussy.
I looked at her and of course started staring because, well, Korean kids
are pretty friggin’ cute. Her mother
seemed to be scolding her for screaming and pointed at me. I turned back around, worrying that I was
making the scolding worse. Something to
the tune of “You see that woman staring at you because you screamed?” A few minutes later the girl approached our
table with her mother and apologized in Korean. I said, “Oh it’s ok!” but maybe it’s not;
wasn’t that the point of the lesson? I
felt really bad for her, but she’ll probably never scream in a restaurant
again.
Like I said, Korean kids are cute
And so are their dogs






You are amazing. But yes, a disappointment when it comes to your palate. Keep in mind, Korean food is one of my favorite cuisines. Just think of me and how jealous I am when you feel tempted to sneak into Outback in lieu of some traditional bibimbop, okay?
ReplyDelete