Going through caffeine withdrawal. There is coffee here, but it’s not the same
as the Starbucks crack that my body is used to.
But I was able to take a long nap yesterday, so I think my internal
clock is finally on Korea time.
The airplane that I called “sleeping”
instead of “big” back at LAX
Maybe I should explain exactly why I’m in Korea. George’s dad is Kuk Sa Nim In Hyuk Suh, the
creator of Kuk Sool Won, the national martial art of Korea. (Kuk Sa Nim is his
title: Grand Master. In Hyuk Suh is his
name.) I have learned a little about Kuk
Sool during my time dating George, but this trip is even more educational. I have been charged with writing an article
about Kuk Sool to hopefully be published in a martial arts magazine. Sort of an “outsider’s view” (white girl’s
view, if you will). I have been given
this assignment by George’s mother (who is called Sa Mo Nim in Kuk Sool), so
let’s just say I really want to do a good job.
I have thought of a number of questions to ask the students here, but I
have yet to get up the nerve to talk to any of them. What makes this fear ridiculous is these are
not Korean students I’m talking about (although there are those here,
too). The students I spend most of my
time around are from exotic places like Texas and Missouri. And there’s also quite a few Brits. Point being that my fear is due to my shyness
and not any language barrier.
Kuk Sa Nim In Hyuk Suh
Every year there is a Kuk Sool Won World Tournament, usually
near Houston because that is where Kuk Sa Nim and Sa Mo Nim currently
live. However, every few years there is
one in Korea, and for obvious reasons it’s a big deal. So that’s why we’re here.
Upon arriving at the airport in Seoul, we were greeted with
a large banner and lots of men in suits bowing to George’s parents. Bowing was to be expected in an Asian
country, but add into the mix that we are traveling with about 400 Kuk Sool
members, there is even more of it.
George grew up with a lot of these people, so people bow to him a lot,
too. He gets called “Sa Bo Nim,” which
means teacher. And he bows with great
respect to the many masters who are here.
I try to just copy whatever he does.
It’s funny to be in the middle of 2 cultures at once: Korean and
Midwestern American. Respect is a big part
of Kuk Sool, so in addition to the bowing, there is lots of “Sir” and Ma’am.”
George’s dad is kind of a big deal.
After leaving the airport, we had a 5 hour bus ride to Busan
during which we sat in some morning traffic, and I saw a guy watching the
Dodgers game on his phone while driving.
Go Dodgers. We also stopped at a
few rest stops along the way. The rest
stops here are more like food courts than scary truck stops, but there was a
Burger King. Don’t worry; I didn’t eat
there. I ate udong noodles instead.
Me eating udong noodles and an
awesome photo bomb
Cool bridge from the bus ride
I have plenty more to share, but I need to find some more
coffee, stat. In the meantime I’ll share
something incredibly exciting:
The control pad for the toilet
There’s a super fancy Asian toilet in our hotel room. You better believe I tried it out. I do NOT recommend the “enema wash.”
And by the way, our hotel is awesome:
Hotel lobby
And so is our view:
A view from our hotel room
Haeundae Beach from our hotel room




The massage option is concerning to me...
ReplyDelete